The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. Psalm 16:6


Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not Today

Duty calls.

But I'm ignoring him.

Do you see me sitting here, fingers in ears, singing, "La-la-la-la-la."

There are faint calls from the half-painted hallway, "Come, finish painting me."

Then there are the guilt-inducing taunts from the elliptical, "Come and exercise, or you'll be sorry!"

The bills call, "Pay me."
The emails chant, "Write back! Write back!"

They all vie for my attention this beautiful, warm, sunny afternoon.

They will all be disappointed today.

For today there is more important work to be done.

There are childhood dreams to be followed. There is laughter to be shared. There are jokes to be heard and silly dances to be performed. There are memories to be made and stored up in this mother's heart. There is sunshine to absorb. There are breezes to savor. There is a God to be praised.

The tyranny of the urgent holds no sway here today.


Instead I am slowing to see. To hear. To savor.

For these are the blessings of this day. Bestowed by a good and gracious God.

And they'll be gone tomorrow.

How many blessings have gone unnoticed by these eyes and ears?

How many times have I missed the magical so that I can fuss over the mundane?


Too many.


But not today.

Today the birds sing more beautifully.

Today my children's laughter and squeals of delight soothe my soul.

Today my heart overflows with the richness of my God. That He might give all this to me.

How great Thou art.

How worthy to be praised.

Oh, for eyes to see and ears to hear the blessings from Your hand, O Lord.


1 comment:

Wynne said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Nancy...it's something I need to read over and over again!